Saturday, June 18, 2005

Remembering Budge

Budge Threlkeld, a beloved son, brother, and friend passed away on June 11th, 2005. It is hoped that people visiting this site will post comments and share memories that are just as funny and honest as he was.

Budge was truly one of a kind. He will be sorely missed.

His obituary follows:


Budge Taylor Threlkeld, 59, born March 17, 1946, in Pueblo, Colo. Died June 11, 2005, in Orlando, Fla. following an extended illness. Predeceased by his father, Dr. Budge Threlkeld. Survived by his mother, Mildred Threlkeld; sister, Gail Rae Threlkeld, and numerous cousins.

Budge attended Otero Junior College, Southern Colorado State College and the Goodman School of Drama in Chicago. Budge formed the improvisational comedy group “High Street” in Denver in early 1970, which became a popular feature of the KFML Radio format. He was an entertainer for Disney World in Orlando for 15 years, performing with the improvisational group at the Comedy Warehouse, and as host of Animal Kingdom Flights of Wonder show. Throughout his career he worked as a standup comic all over the country and Europe, opening shows for top performers. He appeared in several movies, television, numerous plays, and co-wrote the screenplay “Survival Guides” for PBS with Pulitzer Prize winning playwright, Beth Henley. Budge created the role of Mac Sam in Henley’s “The Miss Firecracker Contest” at the Manhattan Theatre Club in New York.

Laughter was his life, as was his deep appreciation of great art in all forms. He will be missed by his many friends and family, and his star does shine in heaven.

3 Comments:

Blogger GregTriggs said...

This comes from Jamie Denbo, one of Budge's Comedy Warehouse friends:

Budge wasn't one in a million. He was one in a hundred million.
I worked with Budge at the Comedy Warehouse in Orlando, and kept in touch with him after I left. The
last time I spoke to him was on my wedding day, just about a year ago. He couldn't make it to the wedding up in Boston, but Greg Triggs, Kelly Holden, Mary
Thompson Hunt & Steve Purnick got him on the phone and connected me to him right after the ceremony. It was awesome.

His voice was filled with love and light, and he gave me his blessing. Thanks, Budge. And thanks above mentioned friends for getting him to me that day.

When I left Orlando and went to New York City, I was sometimes met with harsh rejection, in life, in
business, in art. But I swear to God- One of the things I would ALWAYS tell myself to lift my spirits and get over the hump was "Hey, Jamie. It's okay.
Budge thinks you're funny."

This would instantly kick
the bad stuff to the curb. Thanks for that too, Budge.

I know that Budge's version of heaven is filled with hot ladies, smart conversation and decadent cuisine.

Enjoy, Sweet Budgie.

Miss you.

Love jamie denbo

9:36 PM  
Blogger mary said...

Tonight Budge sang out to me. I haven't seen or heard from him in 40 years, but he was a very special person in my life. We were roommates long ago in Denver; I knew then how special he was. I am saddened to know he can't be here anymore, but he exists in my heart and soul. He was a gift.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Out of the blue, thoughts of Budge Threlkeld crossed my mind, and on a whim, I went to google today to see if there was any news of him. I was saddened to discover he passed away in 2005. I was a student with Budge at Otero Junior College; we were two members of Dr. Boast's theater group. Because I read Shakespeare with ease and understanding, (not because of any talent), I was cast to play Kate to Budge's Petrucchio in Taming of the Shrew. At that time, it was obvious that Budge had huge talents as a performer. Sadly, the Shrew project was dropped after three rehearsals, so I never really had a chance to act with him. I left Otero JC after a year to attend UCLA and lost contact with Budge. Although we were never really friends apart from our theatrical association, he was an unforgettable person.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home